News & Events
- DECLARATION OF A STATE OF EMERGENCY
- Chief Kenneth Branham would like to invite tribal citizens to consider a property in Madison Heights as a future location for the Monacan Indian Nation Tribal Center. If interested in viewing the property, please contact the Tribal Office (434-363-4864) to schedule your walk with the Chief.
- Attention Students!!! Due to the COVID-19 pandemic the Tribal Office has received approved funding for hotspots with an unlimited data subscription through Verizon until 31 December 2020. These hotspots are available to MIN students only and will require proof that the student is currently enrolled in a relevant school or university course. After this date or the ending of the course, whichever is soonest, the hotspot is required to be returned to the office and the subscription will be cancelled. For further information or to request a hotspot, please contact the Tribal Office at TribalOffice@MonacanNation.com or 434-363-4864. HOTSPOT REQUEST FORM!!!
- Dear Save Rassawek Supporter, The James River Water Authority has filed their application for an individual permit from the Army Corps of Engineers to construct their water project on top of Rassawek. The Army Corps of Engineers is seeking public comments with a deadline of May 7, 2020. Read their notice here. We are deeply concerned about the public’s ability to comment while so many of us are complying with the Governor’s stay-at-home order. We have requested that the Corps grant an extension, but so far the Corps has declined. We need your help sharing this information with your friends, including calling those who may not have reliable internet access during this time. There are several ways to help save Rassawek: (1) Please gather signatures for our public letter requesting that Governor Northam and the Army Corps move the project to an alternative that does not destroy Rassawek. They need to hear from voters that the public does not support this project. People can sign on to the letter by filling out the form here: https://bit.ly/saverassawek; (2) Please write to the Corps and tell them you do not support this project and they should choose an alternative that does not destroy Rassawek. Email your comments to email@example.com. We suggest that you: (a) Include your name and address; (b) State that you oppose JRWA's permit application and that it is not in the public interest; (c) State that Rassawek should be preserved as an important part of national, Virginia, and tribal history; (d) Request a public hearing on the permit application; (e) Request that the Corps prepare an environmental impact statement because of the intensity of the proposed impacts to Rassawek; (f) Send us a copy of your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your time and continued attention.
- We are starting to receive PPE (Personal Protection Equipment) at the Tribal Office in Amherst to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. We are slowly receiving these items in and have limited quantities to disperse, we ask that you keep in mind children and elders when requesting items. Please contact our office to schedule a pickup and confirm what is on hand.
- Postponement of 28th Annual Powwow!
- Emergency Communication Contacts by County
- Rassawek GoFundMe Page
- Estimates for repairs needed at the Tribal Hall and Cabin. Repairs include (but not limited to) roofing and gutters, electrical, landscaping, and carpentry. Please contact Monacan Cultural Foundation for more information!
- The tribal rolls are now open, please visit the enrollment page for information about the application process.
- Special Tribal Statement
Student Scholarship & Grant Opportunities
Culture Class: Begins January 11th from 2-5pm. Scheduled every weekend, except the 3rd Saturday of each month.
JUN 25, 2020- Elder event @ 6:00pm, Tribal Council Meeting @ 8:00pm
JUL 2, 2020- Tribal Council Meeting @ 6:30pm
JUL 9, 2020- Tribal Council Meeting @ 6:30pm
JUL 16, 2020- Tribal Council Meeting @ 6:30pm
JUL 23, 2020- Tribal Council Meeting @ 6:30pm
JUL 30, 2020- Tribal Council Meeting @ 6:30pm
AUG 6, 2020- Tribal Council Meeting @ 6:30pm
**ALL DATES AND TIMES SUBJECT TO CHANGE**
American Indian Graduate Center Scholarships
American Indian College Fund
Daughters of the American Revolution
Truman Picard Scholarship Notice