News & Events
- The Monacan Indian Nation published an op-ed in Charlottesville Daily Progress calling on JRWA to move the pump station and save Rassawek. You can view the op-ed here: https://www.dailyprogress.com/opinion/guest_columnists/opinion-commentary-major-monacan-site-imperiled-by-progress/article_9cb50670-945d-11e9-bccd-4be9947e42b4.html
- We are asking members of the public to sign a letter of support to save Rassawek. We need to show the Corps and the Governor that the public is not supportive of this project in its current form. Folks can read and sign on to the letter here: https://bit.ly/31QHIX
- Thank you to the tribal members, sponsors, and for all those that participated in our 27th annual Monacan Powwow! See photos here.
- "Jeffrey Gibson's Performance at the National Portrait Gallery: To Name An Other" Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery is requesting volunteers for a live exhibit being held on May 22nd. If interested in volunteering for the event, please contact the office for more details and contact information.
- Historical interpreters make repairs to Monacan Village Living History Exhibit after damage from heavy snowfall
- Special Tribal Statement
- Calling all Native High School Students! Join students from across the country to discuss community adaptation and related environmental issues impacting Native peoples... https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yO_FW2mJPT0wU1Y5-eZ3f7_KTHwuHL4cpMGtu-gdigU/edit
Meeting Schedule Monacan Nation In The News
Culture Classes every Saturday, but the 3rd Saturday of the month, noon - 5 at the tribal hall.
7/3- Powwow meeting (open to everyone) at 6:30 pm
7/9 - closed council meeting with office personnel at 6:30 pm
7/20 - Council Meeting 9:00 - 10:30, Tribal Meeting 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m; Constitution Committee meeting after.
8/6 - closed council meeting with office personnel at 6:30 pm
8/17 - Council Meeting 9:00 - 10:30, Tribal Meeting 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m
9/10 -closed council meeting with office personnel at 6:30 pm
9/21 - Council Meeting 9:00 - 10:30, Tribal Meeting 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m
10/5 - Homecoming
10/8 - closed council meeting with office personnel at 6:30 pm
10/19 - Council Meeting 9:00 - 10:30, Tribal Meeting 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m
11/5 - closed council meeting with office personnel at 6:30 pm
11/16 - Council Meeting 9:00 - 10:30, Tribal Meeting 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m
Monacan speaker tells Amherst audience, 'We're still here'
After decades of hard work, the Monacan Nation and five other Virginia tribes have received federal recognition. Congratulations to the Chickahominy, Eastern Chickahominy, Nansemond and Upper Mattaponi tribes. >>more
'We never gave up': Monacan tribe reflects on fight to achieve federal recognition - Amherst New Era~Progress
After inhabiting Virginia land for 10,000 years, the Monacan Indian Nation finally receives federal recognition
Press Release - Ratification of the Monacan Nation Constitution
With tribal recognition secured, Virginia tribes look to new opportunities
Trump signs bill giving recognition to 6 Virginia tribes
Senate sends bill recognizing six Virginia Indian tribes to President Trump's desk
Charlottesville celebrates first Indigenous Peoples Day - Video | Article
Tribes break ground on monument to their history in Virginia's capitol
Monument in Capitol Square will recognize legacy of Native Americans in Virginia