News & Events
- Clean Up date at the Tribal Hall
Clean up the tribal hall and surrounding area to prepare for Homecoming
2009 Kenmore Road
Amherst, VA 24521
9/14 at 8:30 a.m.
Please bring yard tool - rakes, weed eaters, lawn mowers
Contact Chief Kenneth Branham for more information.
- Estimates for repairs needed at the Tribal Hall and Cabin. Repairs include (but not limited to) roofing and gutters, electrical, landscaping, and carpentry. Please contact Monacan Cultural Foundation for more information!
- Monacan Food Bank is now open! Grand opening is July 13, 2019. Hours of operation are as follows: first Wednesday of each month 5-7 pm, third Monday of each month between 10-12 pm, and third Saturday of each month by appointment only.
- AGAR Presents: Bear Mountain Indian Mission School and Early Integration of African-American Students Documentaries (Amherst County Museum, July 14, 2019)
- The tribal rolls are now open, please visit the enrollment page for information about the application process.
- The Monacan Indian Nation published an op-ed in Charlottesville Daily Progress calling on JRWA to move the pump station and save Rassawek. You can view the op-ed here: https://www.dailyprogress.com/opinion/guest_columnists/opinion-commentary-major-monacan-site-imperiled-by-progress/article_9cb50670-945d-11e9-bccd-4be9947e42b4.html
- We are asking members of the public to sign a letter of support to save Rassawek. We need to show the Corps and the Governor that the public is not supportive of this project in its current form. Folks can read and sign on to the letter here: https://bit.ly/31QHIX
- Thank you to the tribal members, sponsors, and for all those that participated in our 27th annual Monacan Powwow! See photos here.
- Historical interpreters make repairs to Monacan Village Living History Exhibit after damage from heavy snowfall
- Special Tribal Statement
Meeting Schedule Monacan Nation In The News
Culture Classes are the 3rd Saturday of the month, noon - 5 at the tribal hall.
9/10 -closed council meeting with office personnel at 6:30 pm
9/21 - Council Meeting 9:00 - 10:30, Tribal Meeting 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m
10/5 - Homecoming
10/8 - closed council meeting with office personnel at 6:30 pm
10/19 - Council Meeting 9:00 - 10:30, Tribal Meeting 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m
11/5 - closed council meeting with office personnel at 6:30 pm
11/16 - Council Meeting 9:00 - 10:30, Tribal Meeting 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m
Opinion/Letter: Respecting the Monacan Nation
Monacan speaker tells Amherst audience, 'We're still here'
After decades of hard work, the Monacan Nation and five other Virginia tribes have received federal recognition. Congratulations to the Chickahominy, Eastern Chickahominy, Nansemond and Upper Mattaponi tribes. >>more
'We never gave up': Monacan tribe reflects on fight to achieve federal recognition - Amherst New Era~Progress
After inhabiting Virginia land for 10,000 years, the Monacan Indian Nation finally receives federal recognition
Press Release - Ratification of the Monacan Nation Constitution
With tribal recognition secured, Virginia tribes look to new opportunities
Trump signs bill giving recognition to 6 Virginia tribes
Senate sends bill recognizing six Virginia Indian tribes to President Trump's desk
Charlottesville celebrates first Indigenous Peoples Day - Video | Article
Tribes break ground on monument to their history in Virginia's capitol
Monument in Capitol Square will recognize legacy of Native Americans in Virginia