News & Events
- Truman Picard Scholarship Notice
- It's that time of year again!!! Culture Class starts January 11 between 2-5 pm class will be held every weekend except the 3rd Saturday between 12-5pm. We look forward to a great new year and seeing everyone again!
- Office of Air Quality Planning & Standards (OAQPS) 2020 Spring/Summer Intern Program, position details are posted on USAJobs
- There are three scholarships available through the Daughters of the American Revolution. Please visit their page for more information about the Frances Crawford Marvin American Indian, American Indians, and the Anne Trevarthen Memorial Scholarships.
- Estimates for repairs needed at the Tribal Hall and Cabin. Repairs include (but not limited to) roofing and gutters, electrical, landscaping, and carpentry. Please contact Monacan Cultural Foundation for more information!
- The tribal rolls are now open, please visit the enrollment page for information about the application process.
- The Monacan Indian Nation published an op-ed in Charlottesville Daily Progress calling on JRWA to move the pump station and save Rassawek. You can view the op-ed here: https://www.dailyprogress.com/opinion/guest_columnists/opinion-commentary-major-monacan-site-imperiled-by-progress/article_9cb50670-945d-11e9-bccd-4be9947e42b4.html
- We are asking members of the public to sign a letter of support to save Rassawek. We need to show the Corps and the Governor that the public is not supportive of this project in its current form. Folks can read and sign on to the letter here: https://bit.ly/31QHIX
- Special Tribal Statement
Meeting Schedule Monacan Nation In The News
Culture Class: Begins January 11th from 2-5pm. Scheduled every weekend, except the 3rd Saturday of each month.
JAN 11, 2020- Powwow Committee Meeting @ 1pm
JAN 18, 2020- Tribal Meeting @ 11am
FEB 15, 2020- Tribal Meeting @ 11am
MAR 21, 2020- Tribal Meeting @ 11am
APR 18, 2020- Tribal Meeting @ 11am
MAY 16 & 17, 2020- Powwow, no meetings scheduled.
JUN 20, 2020- Tribal Meeting @ 11am
JUL 18, 2020- Tribal Meeting @ 11am
AUG 15, 2020- Tribal Meeting @ 11am
SEPT 19, 2020- Tribal Meeting @ 11am
OCT 3, 2020- Homecoming & Scholarship Auction
OCT 17, 2020- Tribal Meeting @ 11am
NOV 21, 2020- Tribal Meeting @ 11am
DEC- No meetings scheduled.
**ALL DATES AND TIMES SUBJECT TO CHANGE**
Rassawek GoFundMe Page
Opinion/Letter: Respecting the Monacan Nation
Monacan speaker tells Amherst audience, 'We're still here'
After decades of hard work, the Monacan Nation and five other Virginia tribes have received federal recognition. Congratulations to the Chickahominy, Eastern Chickahominy, Nansemond and Upper Mattaponi tribes. >>more
Historical interpreters make repairs to Monacan Village Living History Exhibit after damage from heavy snowfall
'We never gave up': Monacan tribe reflects on fight to achieve federal recognition - Amherst New Era~Progress
After inhabiting Virginia land for 10,000 years, the Monacan Indian Nation finally receives federal recognition
Press Release - Ratification of the Monacan Nation Constitution
With tribal recognition secured, Virginia tribes look to new opportunities
Trump signs bill giving recognition to 6 Virginia tribes
Senate sends bill recognizing six Virginia Indian tribes to President Trump's desk
Charlottesville celebrates first Indigenous Peoples Day - Video | Article
Tribes break ground on monument to their history in Virginia's capitol
Monument in Capitol Square will recognize legacy of Native Americans in Virginia